Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Web Spotlight #6 - Limalo




I found this artist through Reddit's electronic music sub.

Limalo is interesting. They're a music duo from Texas that specialize in atmospheric, ambient,  beat-driven music. In my mind, the strongest comparison is to Boards of Canada. Yesterday, Limalo released their first ever album, Human Bloom, on Bandcamp, and hot damn do I like it. 14 tracks, but it's about quality, not quantity, the longest song is 3:25. Human Bloom was recorded with all analog instruments, and that's a quality I can't praise highly enough, but you can hear the difference. The synths sound earthy and dream-like. The beats behind the synths never get too intense, but their is glitching abound, and that's something I can get behind.

Human Bloom has this great lo-fi sound to it that doesn't sound like a mastering effect. It's not so lo-fi that you lose a lot of detail in the tracks, in fact you can clearly make out everything that's going on, but it's a kind of fuzzy/blurriness that lets you just enjoy it in the background. It doesn't require your full attention, you can just let it roll out and envelop you. It's an action I support, because that means I can let the music be the soundtrack for an experience in my mind. I can just let it take me places. Hell, this is the kind of music I could see getting tied to memories of this summer when I think back in later years. I cannot stress enough how the entirety of Human Bloom is something to experience, but there are tracks that stand out. Clouds In My Puddle, Gamogy's Creek, Magic Lantern, Blurry Mood and Tiwa are all great pieces by themselves that really stood out to me.

Right now the entire album is on Bandcamp, and it's set at a Pay What You Want model, meaning it's donation based. You can enter $0 and get the album for free, or you can choose to pay however much you like. I'll be supporting Limalo and I hope you will too.

Facebook
Bandcamp

No comments:

Post a Comment