Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Music Review - Perturbator - I Am The Night



Perturbator is an indie electronic musician that I found through my love of the soundtrack to the game Hotline Miami, which is rich in retro styled electronic music. After some quick research, it turned out Perturbator was responsible for my favorite track "Miami Disco" So I looked him up and found out he has a Bandcamp where he had released a full length album named I Am The Night.

Perturbator calls his music "Retrofuturistic" and as silly sounding as that can be, it's true to it's name. Perturbator likes to make music as if he's scoring 80's video games that never existed. Rich, textured synths that mix styles of electronic styles of Disco, Electro and even Cyberpunk and play them out in such a way that it sounds like it's straight from the 80's. If someone gave me this album on a cassette tape and told me that was it's original form I'd believe them. It sounds like it's straight from the 80's in all it's European style synth glory, but with some modern day flourishes and depth that weren't present then.

I Am The Night is a wonderful romp through such a scenario. Imagine this to be the soundtrack to a SNES Castlevania game, except replace medieval ages with Cyberpunk futures and you have the basis for this album. There are little sound clips that sound like they're from horror/sci-fi movies strewn about the album, adding to the feel too. The album is just stellar front to back if this kind of music interests you. Listening to this album makes me want to make a game just to base this around. I want to add context to it, because even though it stands up great on it's own, I think it could help stand up another media project too.

While I love the entire album, my absolute favorites are Retrogenesis, I Am The Night and Raining Steel. There are similar acts out there, like say, Com Truise (who I'm also really digging lately) But while Com is focused on the more light and airy aspects of the style, Perturbator has really got the dark and adventurous style locked down. There are dark synths and distinct drum beats that hold a song down while glassy synths run around giving each song extra layers of texture that make it sound straight out of the 80's. The female vocal features are all great sultry performances. This is retro video game music perfected for the present, with potential to be the backdrop for something in the future.

Bandcamp
Soundcloud
Facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment